A Work Group to offer sustained Core Maths professional development through collaboration.
This project will contribute to the wider national effort to support teachers and leaders to increase the growth in uptake and delivery of Core Maths in schools and colleges, and to embed a culture of Core Maths within school and college maths departments with confidence.
Participants and their departments will:
- understand the philosophy of Core Maths, with its approach to maths through contextualised problem-solving
- explore a range of common Core Maths approaches and topics (e.g. Fermi problems, critical analysis of numbers in the media) and their use of pre-release materials
- identify and make effective use of existing Core Maths resources
- support senior leadership in understanding the benefits of Core Maths
- understand the role of Core Maths in promoting problem solving within GCSE Maths
Who can apply?
This project is aimed at recent or – in exceptional cases – potential teachers of Core Maths. These may be teachers in post-16 settings whose main subject is maths or whose main subject is not maths.
What is the cost?
The Developing Core Maths Pedagogy project is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme and the AMSP so is free to participating schools/colleges.
When will it take place?
12/11/20 – 1:30pm to 3pm – online – Mathematical Modelling & Fermi Estimation
10/12/20 – 1:30pm to 3pm – online – Desmos and Remote Learning
21/01/21 – 1:30pm to 3pm – online – Teaching Statistics and Large Data Sets
09/03/21 – 9am – 3pm – face to face – Pre-release Materials
22/04/21 – 1:30pm to 3pm – online – Exam Preparation
24/06/21 – 1:30pm to 3pm – online – Exam Review
Location: Sessions 1 and 2 will be online. We plan for session 4 to be face to face, if possible. Face to face sessions will be hosted by Bishop Challoner Catholic College B14 7EG.
Please register your interest below and we will get back to you!
Register your interest
Update your browser to view this website correctly.Update my browser now
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.