What is involved?
This is a new programme to support teaching assistants develop the specialist knowledge for working within the maths classroom. The programme is aligned with an overall Teaching for Mastery Programme designed to develop maths teaching in schools and is aimed at supporting teaching assistants whose schools are already engaging with a Teaching for Mastery Work Group.
The programmes will be run over the equivalent of 4 days and the participants must commit to attending all sessions. Participants will develop their specialist knowledge with a focus on using precise mathematical language, representations, and reasoning within each of the topics: addition and subtraction; multiplication and division; ratio; and fractions.
In addition to attendance at these sessions, participants will be asked to carry out follow-up tasks in their schools to enable practice transfer to the classroom.
What does the programme cover?
As a participant on the SKTM Teaching Assistants programme, you will:
- review your practice as a result of the sessions and make specific adaptations to support the students you are working with
- use appropriate mathematical language and representations with confidence.
- enhance your maths specialist knowledge with a particular focus on mathematical structures and representations in each of the following topic areas:
- Addition and subtraction (extending to negative numbers)
- Multiplication and division (extending to negative numbers)
- work towards developing your understanding of how to suitably adapt resources to meet the needs of your students
- develop an understanding of how algebra relates to the generalisation of number.
Who can take part?
This programme will be relevant for teaching assistants who work for most of their time with students in the KS3 maths classroom or who lead intervention sessions with groups of students. The participants’ schools should already be engaged with a Teaching for Mastery Work Group, and this programme will complement this provision.
What is the cost?
The SKTM Secondary Programme is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme so is free to participating schools.
If you are interested in taking part in 2023-24, please register your interest below.
We would love to work with you on this exciting project!
|St Thomas More Catholic Academy CV10 7EX
| Session 1
Thursday 9th November 2023
10am – 4pm
Thursday 21st December 2023
Thursday 8th February 2024
10am – 4pm
Thursday 2nd May 2024
10am – 4pm
Thursday 20th June 2024
9am – 12pm